October 5, 2018
Why does ethnic violence happen?
- Causes of ethnic violence
1984 Delhi Riots
Political Conflict in state of Punjab
Rise of Sikh Nationalists
Amritsar and Operation Blue Star
Assassination of Indira Gandhi by Sikh Bodyguards
Widespread killing of Sikhs in Delhi
What is this violence about?
- Intra-party factional dispute?
- Free reign given to criminals / police?
- Conflict between two caste groups?
- Opportunistic violence (looting, settling scores)?
- Ethnic violence against Sikhs?
What causes ethnic violence?
Push and Pull
Capacity for Violence
Risk of Violence (or lackthereof)
master cleavage vs. local cleavage (Kalyvas)
Which Moral relationships
- Horowitz: aggressive/dangerous opponent
What is a boundary transgression
- Horowitz: precipitating events
Ritualization / Routinization of Violence:
- processions, rallies
- standard intimidation
- widely accepted "triggers"